150 years of German Protestant Church in Istanbul
The “German Protestant Congregation of Constantinople” planned to build a school and a church just a few years after it was founded in 1843. The space that was used for religious services in the royal embassy building was rated “unworthy” by the community. In 1856, they bought land for 115,000 piastres in Aynalı Çeşme, part of Pera (now Beyoğlu).
The 300 to 400-strong community collected around 1,000 Prussian thalers from its members for funding. An additional 58,254 Reichstaler were donated from Prussia. The money was enough for the property and a school building. The decision to build a chapel on the existing school was made in May 1861. On November 17, 1861, the congregation celebrated the inauguration of its church with a festival service.
In January 1884, the church was given an organ from the German organ builder Carl Eduard Gesell. Two years later, on the occasion of the church’s 25th anniversary, it received an altarpiece. In 1887, the church obtained a bell.