The Gül Mosque (Gül Camii) was originally the Church of Saint Theodosia. According to legend, on the day of the conquest of Constantinople, the faithful filled the church with rose petals and prayed that the Ottomans would not be able to enter through the city walls.
Sultan Mehmed’s army saw the beauty of the rose petals and gave the church its current name. After taking the city, the building was temporarily used as a warehouse of a shipyard and converted into a mosque under the rule of Sultan Beyazit II. The high dome is an Ottoman extension; the chic minaret and the necessary restoration work were made during the reign of Selim II, who ruled from 1512 to 1520. The 11th-century church is visited by few people except the faithful of the neighborhood.