Mihrimah Sultan Mosque Üsküdar

The Mihrimah Mosque, which is not to be confused with the Mihrimah Sultan Mosque in the European side, was built in 1547-48 by Mimar Sinan for the daughter of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. It is located across the Üsküdar port, which is why it is also called “Iskele Camii”.

The mosque complex consists of the “Sibyan” (Theological School for Children), the tomb of Osman Ağa, the son of Mihrimah and Grand Vizier Rüştem Paşa, and the medrese, which contains sixteen rooms and now serves as a health center. Other parts of the complex such as the soup kitchen have not survived to this day.

The most impressive architectural features of the mosque are probably the two minarets and the prayer niche. The portico creates a special ambience in the building and the marble fountain looks very imposing. The main dome of the mosque is flanked on three sides by half-domes. It is the first work of the architect of floating domes.

At the time of construction, the entrance terrace was above the sea. Over time, the shore was expanded and the Bosphorus moved further into the distance.

  • Mimar Sinan Mahallesi Üsküdar

Istanbul Mosques

>