Tiferet Israel Synagogue

Tiferet Israel means “Mercy of Israel”. Built in the 1870s by the famous Istanbul banker Abraham Salomon Kamondo, the place of worship is also called “Yenikoy Synagogue” due to the name of its location.

During the Ottoman period, the Yenikoy district, located on the Bosphorus, was a predominantly Greek-populated fishing village.
With the advent of steamship navigation in the second half of the 19th century, the little spots on the Bosphorus became attractive to many wealthy Jewish families, which is why they acquired plots of land on which they built luxurious summer residences. The most famous among them was without a doubt the Kamondo family.

After extensive interior and exterior renovations, the synagogue reopened in 2001 and was added to the list for the protection of Intangible Cultural Heritage. It is different from many other synagogues as here the women’s area is not a gallery on the first floor but a separate area on the ground floor as it is in some small mosques.


Synagogues

The Ahrida Synagogue in the Balat district is one of Istanbul’s oldest and largest synagogues. It was founded in Macedonia in 1427,

Read More

The Neve Shalom Synagogue is located near the Galata Tower. It is not only Istanbul’s central synagogue of Sephardic Jews and the

Read More

The Bet Yaakov Synagogue was founded in 1878 with a capacity of about 260 people next to a Greek Orthodox Church. It

Read More

The Ashkenazi Synagogue is currently the only active synagogue of Ashkenazi Jews. It was founded in 1900 by Ashkenazim, an Austrian with

Read More

Bakırköy Synagogue was built in 1914 by Jews who had emigrated from Edirne. Originally, a Jewish elementary school was housed on the

Read More

Etz Ahayim Synagogue, whose name translates as “Tree of Life”, is located on Ortaköy’s main street close to the coast. Since this

Read More

The synagogue dating from 1840 is located in La Virane, a neighborhood of Kuzguncuk on the asian side where Jews lived who

Read More

Tiferet Israel means “Mercy of Israel”. Built in the 1870s by the famous Istanbul banker Abraham Salomon Kamondo, the place of worship

Read More

Jewish immigrants from Russia, who arrived in the 1880’s, first used the Çorapçı Han in Sirkeci as a house of prayer. When

Read More

In the 1940s, as the Jewish population in the Şişli-Osmanbey-Nişantaşı triangle increased due to Jews fleeing from the Nazis, the community sought

Read More

The name of this synagogue with a capacity of 150 persons means “Gate of Heaven”. It was opened on Thursday, September 21,

Read More

This synagogue is named after the Jews who immigrated from the Bulgarian province Yambol to Balat. An Ottoman decree issued in 1693

Read More

The synagogue dating from 1840 is located in La Virane, a neighborhood where Jews lived who were not very wealthy. After many

Read More

At the beginning of the 20th century, more and more wealthy Jewish families moved into summer residences on the largest prince island

Read More

When in the summer months, Heybeliada, the second largest princely island, became the destination of many wealthy Jewish families, it was decided

Read More

After Büyükada and Heybeliada, Burgazada, the third largest of the Princes’ Islands, became a popular summer destination for wealthy Jewish families. Therefore,

Read More

Due to the increasing Jewish population in the Kadıköy region in the 1950s and the fact that many wealthy Jewish families moved

Read More

At the beginning of the 20th century, more and more wealthy Jewish families moved into summer residences on the largest prince island

Read More

Newsletter

Erhalte exklusive Inhalte für kommende Reisen, aktuelle Angebote und richtige Insider-Infos aus Berlin. 

Please Select One
  • Option A
  • Option B
  • Option C
>