The museum of the founder of the state and father of the Turks is located in his former home and is therefore particularly well suited to represent the former property in its own four walls.
Built in 1908, the house is situated on Halaskargazi Street in the Sisli district. After Atatürk’s journey to Syria, he lived with his mother Zübeyde Hanim and his sister Makbule in the three-storey building. He stayed on the middle floor while his mother and sister lived on the top floor. His staff lived on the ground floor. During the last years of the First World War, when Istanbul was saved and re-conquered by Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, this house became an important meeting place for the “Savior of Istanbul” and his comrades. Atatürk lived in this house until May 16, 1919.
In 1924, the house was purchased by the Erzurum governor Tahsin Uzer. Only four years later, he sold the house together with all memoirs of the founder of the state to the municipality. The building has become an important property and preserves now Atatürk’s personal belongings, including documents with original signatures, photos, paintings and other historically relevant items. The building was officially declared a museum for the first time during Lütfi Kirdar’s period of office as governor and mayor of Istanbul on June 15, 1942. The house was restored in the late 1950s, but suffered a minor fire damage a few years later. After complete renovation, the building commemorating the 100th birthday of Atatürk, celebrated its reopening on May 19, 1981 as the Atatürk Museum.