This page is about the best hospitals in Istanbul for foreigners.
Turkey - and Istanbul in particular - is among the best cities in the world regarding the quality of healthcare.
In case you are planning to come to Istanbul or are already in the city and need medical advice, we have compiled an informative list of the 10 best public hospitals in Istanbul for you.
We also provide helpful information and answers to common questions about hospitals in Istanbul, Turkey.
Let’s start !
In this article, find out about our partner Medclinics , the local expert in the country for all medical related issues. They offer consultations for patients in English, German, French, Arabic and Russian and help each patient to find the perfect match in a doctor and facility according to one’s individual needs.
Any questions or concerns you may have are easily addressed by the MedClinics staff who are available 24/7. Contact them here for a free consultation or visit the official MedClinics website for more details on the hospitals in Istanbul!
Private Hospitals in Istanbul, Turkey
Due to the higher standards, we recommend private hospitals in Istanbul in case of medical treatment.
Public and private hospitals differ mainly in terms of comfort and cost. While private hospitals pay attention to the greatest possible comfort for patients and sometimes even resemble 5-star hotels, public hospitals place less emphasis on this aspect for cost and capacity reasons. Another important factor to consider when choosing a hospital is that you may face communication problems with the medical staff in public hospitals.
Below, you will learn more about these and other reasons to choose a private clinic in Istanbul:
Things you need to know about Private Hospitals in Istanbul
- Private Hospitals in Istanbul are among the best in the world, offering world-class service. One of the main reasons for this is that in 2003 the government encouraged the private sector to build a number of new hospitals with state-of-the-art equipment to improve the healthcare system.
- Due to the following increase in medical treatments and the competition among healthcare providers, prices for healthcare services have decreased significantly. That’s why high-quality treatment is available in Istanbul at an affordable cost, and mostly cheaper than in Europe or the US. However, keep in mind that private hospitals in Istanbul are more expensive than government ones.
- Private clinics in Istanbul often resemble a 5-star hotel and feature modern facilities, cutting-edge technology and state-of-the-art equipment of leading international brands. Many of them provide interpreter services, gastronomic facilities and even spa packages.
- Private health services generally offer higher quality services than public health services
- In private hospitals, most of the doctors and medical staff speak English. Some may even speak German, French or Russian.
- Hospitals in Turkey give appointments within 3 days. In private hospitals, you can even get an appointment on the same day.
- With a population of more than 16 million in Istanbul and many patients from abroad, doctors in Istanbul have to deal with a high volume of patients, resulting in an increased amount of experience within a shorter time of practice.
List of the Top Private Hospitals in Istanbul
Public Hospitals in Istanbul, Turkey
Due to the reasons mentioned above and below, we recommend tourists and foreigners to choose a private hospital in Istanbul over a state hospital.
However, in order to provide you with a complete list of the best hospitals, we have compiled important information about public hospitals and a list of the best public hospitals in Istanbul.
Things you need to know about Public Hospitals in Istanbul
- Just like the private hospitals, the public health system is supervised by the Turkish Ministry of Health
- In 2020, public hospitals in Turkey, removed all outdated equipment and ordered the latest models on the market.
- Public hospitals are less comfortable and luxurious than private hospitals. You have to expect to stay in a double or quad room.
- Private health services often offer higher quality services than government services.
- If you have insurance, you do not have to pay for your medical treatment at the state hospital.
- Since many Turks still do not speak English as a second language, you might face communication problems with the medical staff in state hospitals.
- State hospitals are highly frequented by locals, so you should expect long waiting times.
- Considering Istanbul's population of more than 16 million and many patients coming from abroad, doctors in Istanbul have high patient volumes to deal with, resulting in a greater depth of experience within a shorter practice time.
List of the Top 10 Public Hospitals in Istanbul
There are 62 public hospitals in Istanbul. Below is a list of the top 10 public hospitals in Istanbul for foreign visitors based on their location.
- SBÜ Şişli Hamidiye Etfal Education & Research Hospital
Address: SBÜ Şişli Hamidiye Etfal Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Etfal Hastanesi, Halaskargazi Cd., 34371 Şişli/İstanbul
- Beşiktaş Sait Çiftçi State Hospital
Address: Beşiktaş Sait Çiftçi Devlet Hastanesi, Dikilitaş, Barbaros Bulv./Yıldız Cad. No:109, 34349 Beşiktaş/İstanbul
- Haseki Education & Research Hospital
Address: Haseki Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Aksaray, Dr. Adnan Adıvar Cd. No: 9, 34130 Fatih/İstanbul
- Okmeydanı Education & Research Hospital
Address: Okmeydanı Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Kaptan Paşa, SSK Okmeydanı Hst. No:25, 34384 Şişli/İstanbul
- Üsküdar State Hospital
Address: Üsküdar Devlet Hastanesi, Barbaros, Veysi Paşa Sk. No:14, 34662 Üsküdar/İstanbul
- Eyüpsultan State Hospital
Address: Eyüp Devlet Hastanesi, Eyüp Merkez, Silahtarağa Cd. No:53-55 D:57, 34050 Eyüpsultan/İstanbul
- Gaziosmanpaşa Education & Research Hospital
Address: Gaziosmanpaşa Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Karayolları, Osmanbey Cd. 621 Sokak, 34255 Gaziosmanpaşa/İstanbul
- Bahçelievler State Hospital
Address: Bahçelievler Devlet Hastanesi, Kocasinan Merkez, Karadeniz Cd. No:48, 34186 Bahçelievler/İstanbul
- Arnavutköy State Hospital
Address: Arnavutköy Devlet Hastanesi, Arnavutköy Merkez, Eski Edirne Cd. No:3, 34275 Arnavutköy/İstanbul
- Kağıthane State Hospital
Address: Kağıthane Devlet Hastanesi, Sanayi, Şahinler Cd. No:23, 34415 Kâğıthane/İstanbul
Post your add on this page
Register now and get advertorial offers to promote your clinic or medical activity on this page.
Hospitals in Istanbul, Turkey - FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
There are a lot of excellent hospitals in Istanbul. You can refer to our list above for the top ones.
Yes, Turkey offers world-class private medical care and is therefore one of the most sought-after countries for health care with growing demand. Hence, it is not surprising that Turkey is now attracting patients from all over the world with its specialized clinics and medical staff, wide range of procedures and low costs.
In particular, private clinics in Istanbul are considered some of the best in the country and the world.
Yes, you can take your PCR test either in a public or private hospital, at the airport, in a laboratory or convenient at your hotel/ home or Airbnb. The latter is the most recommended option, as it is the safest and most hassle-free way to get a PCR test in Istanbul. If your hotel, home or Airbnb is around Sultanahmet area, we recommend you the certified BurGen laboratory. Through our link you can benefit from a reduced price with a discount of 5%.
Another great option is getting tested at the approved and certified Cihangir laboratory, located 2 minutes from Taksim Square. Using our link you can benefit from a reduced price with a discount of 5%.
Please also check out our helpful guide: 5 ways to get a PCR test in Istanbul as a foreigner: Booking and Cost.
You may also be interested in these related articles: