Good eyesight is crucial for our daily well-being and quality of life, for it is not without reason that vision is considered the most important sense.
Therefore, it is not surprising that people who suffer from poor vision look for ways to improve their eyesight. Although laser eye surgery is the most popular method of correcting poor vision, it is not suitable for everyone.
Smart lens surgery is a great alternative. Turkey, which is one of the world's leading countries in health tourism, boasting top-notch clinics and highly qualified doctors and ophthalmologists, offers this advanced smart lens surgery.
In this article, we will provide you with important information about Smart Lens Surgery, the costs in Turkey, and introduce you to some of the best clinics in Istanbul.
Post your add on this page
Register now and get advertorial offers to promote your clinic or medical activity on this page.
What is Smart Lens Surgery?
During a Smart Lens surgery, your existing natural eye lens is replaced with an electronic lens. These lenses are called smart lens or trifocal intraocular lens and eliminate visual impairments for life, allowing patients to see both, at a distance and at close range.
It is especially applied to people with cataract disease, which is why smart lens surgery is also known as cataract surgery.
In order to remove the natural lens and apply the smart lens, a femtosecond laser or an ultrasound device is used. In addition, micro-incisions are made on the cornea, which heal by themselves after the treatment. Then, the rolled-up smart lens is placed in the location where the natural lens was, which unfolds and move into position.
Types of Smart Lens
There are monofocal and multifocal lenses. See below the three most common lens types:
1. Monofocal lenses
A traditional monofocal lens is a standard lens, which will give patients brilliant vision at one distance. This could either be near, mid-range/computer or distances. Patients will still usually need to use glasses for either near or distance vision. For this reason, monofocal lenses are often not the preferred choice.
2. Bifocal lenses
A biofocal lens offers a better range of vision than a monofocal lens, as it features 2 visual ranges. Patients who choose this lens type may still need glasses for either near or distance vision.
3. Trifocal multifocal lenses
Trifocal multifocal lenses have 3 different visual ranges, allowing patients to see near, mid-range/computer or distances. This is why many patients opt for this lens type.
Things you need to know before your Smart Lens Surgery in Istanbul, Turkey
- Smart lenses are perfectly suitable for individuals with low vision due to cataracts.
- The procedure can correct eye conditions, such as hyperopia, myopia, presbyopia, or astigmatism.
- This surgery can be recommended for patients over the age of 40 who prefer not to use glasses for near and distance vision, as well as people with high eyeglasses at a young age.
- People with thick corneas whose eyes cannot be corrected by laser eye surgery may be candidates for the smart lens surgery.
- If done right, the smart lens surgery lasts for a lifetime. Please note that the surgery requires a lot of precision and experience and carries risks. Therefore, choosing a certified clinic and experienced specialists is highly recommended.
- A smart lens surgery in Turkey offers a much affordable option compared to Europe or the US. As a bonus, the country boosts a lot of highly skilled and experienced doctors and ophthalmologists, who perform the smart lens surgery with the highest quality.
- Due to hormonal changes, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are not suitable for the smart lens surgery.
- Plan at least 5 days for your stay in Istanbul. Before your treatment, you can explore the many highlights in Istanbul and thus combine your surgery with sightseeing.
- It is important to stop drinking alcohol and smoking at least one week before the surgery.
- Many patients have clear vision several hours after the procedure. But don’t be alarmed: It is also completely normal to have blurred vision the first few days after the surgery. This condition can last for a few days or 1-2 weeks.
- You will need to use eye drops for about a month.
- Be careful not to rub or press on the operated eyes for at least one week. Also avoid direct contact of water with the eyes.
- Active sports, swimming, sauna and solarium are not recommended for a few weeks. Please follow the aftercare instructions of your doctor.
Procedure of the Smart Lens Surgery in Istanbul/ Turkey:
The first step is to send your medical history. After an evaluation by your doctor, you will discuss together the risks and benefits as well as the type of smart lens at an online consultation.
After you arrive in Istanbul, you will visit your attending doctor for a detailed examination of your eyes. If necessary, your doctor may order some tests. You will finalize if the chosen lens is the right one for you. Afterwards, your lenses will be prepared for your individually needs.
Typically, the next day, your lenses will be ready. You will then return to the clinic and discuss final details with your attending physician. Afterwards, the surgery will start. The smart lens surgery is performed under local anesthesia, which is why you won’t feel any pain. The duration of smart lens surgery is around 20 minutes per eye. Your doctor will usually give you contact lenses to protect your eyes and inform you about aftercare. After that, you are free to leave the clinic.
Normally, you will visit your doctor the next day for a follow-up, during which your contacts will be removed. The day after that, you will come for a final examination of the eyes.
How much is the Smart Lens Surgery in Turkey?
The prices for Smart Lens Surgery in Istanbul ranges from 3.650 € to 4.000 €
Choose the Right Clinic for your Smart Lens Surgery with MedClinics Turkey
MedClinicsTurkey, Expertise you can trust!
get a Free consultation
You can contact us by phone,
email or by using the contact form.
Bankalar Caddesi, Nazlı Han No: 26
+90 0850 433 8866