Being severely overweight or obese increases a person’s risk for many health problems. Obesity and weight loss surgeries can help these people to lose weight and therefore reduce these risks.
Turkey offers affordable and quality healthcare services with minimal waiting times, which is why the country is one of the top choices for health tourism like weight loss surgeries.
In this article, we have put together important information about weight loss surgery in Turkey. Read about the types, the procedure and the cost in Turkey as well as trustworthy clinics in Istanbul.
What is Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery?
Obesity and weight loss surgeries are surgeries that are used to change the function and shape of the patient’s digestive system.
In this way, the patient can lose weight but more importantly can treat conditions related to obesity such as diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, obstructive sleep apnea or acid reflux.
In addition, it helps to reduce risk factors such as heart disease, stroke and cancer.
Types of Obesity & Weight Loss Surgeries in Turkey
There are many types and options of obesity and weight loss surgery. See below the most common and popular options in Turkey:
1. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (Gastric Sleeve)
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy or Gastric Sleeve surgery is one of the most common bariatric surgeries. During this obesity & weight loss surgery, part of the stomach is surgically removed. The remaining part functions as a new, smaller stomach. Typically, a very small scar remains.
Following gastric sleeve, the patient's food intake is reduced, which in turn can help them lose 50 to 70 percent of their excess weight.
Note that Gastric Sleeve surgery is not reversible, since three-quarters of the organ is removed.
- Body mass index (BMI): BMI should be from 35 to 40 or more
- Duration: A regular Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery takes about 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Anesthesia: General anesthesia
- Overnight Stays in Hospital: 3-4 nights
- Possible results: Patients typically reach their lowest weight 1.5–2 years after surgery, where they can lose 75–80% of their excess weight. Note that this result is still not stable, and most patients gain 5-10 kg in weight. After that, the weight usually stabilizes, but depends on the lifestyle of each patient.
- Notes on Pregnancy: Pregnancy after surgery can be planned 16-18 months after the procedure.
2. Gastric Balloon
During this weight loss treatment, a gastric balloon made of high quality silicone rubber is inserted to the stomach. The balloon is filled with a specific amount of saline (typically 500 ml). Due to the balloon in the stomach, the stomach volume is reduced, and the patient feels fuller faster. This leads to a weight reduction.
Note: The balloon is removed from the stomach after 6-12 months in the same way it was inserted.
- Body mass index (BMI): BMI should be from 27 to 40
- Duration: A regular Gastric Balloon procedure takes about 20 minutes.
- Anesthesia: Light anesthesia or mild sedation
- Overnight Stays in Hospital: None; only a couple of hours
- Possible results: Patients typically lose weight during the first 1-2 months after the procedure. During the rest 4-5 months, the reached weight is supported.
3. Non-Surgical Stomach Reduction
In non-surgical stomach reduction, a muscle relaxant is injected into 15-20 parts of the stomach. The toxin causes the stomach muscles to work more slowly and reduces the release of the appetite hormone, so that the patient feels full for a long time.
This procedure is performed by endoscope through the mouth. Since incisions or general anesthesia are not required, non-surgical stomach reduction is considered one of the safest weight loss procedures.
Note that the Muscle Relaxant completely dissolves 4-6 months after the procedure, so the effect only lasts during this period. It is possible to redo the procedure.
- Body mass index (BMI): From 27 to 35 (not higher than 40)
- Duration: A regular non-surgical stomach reduction procedure takes about 15-30 minutes
- Anesthesia: Drug anesthesia and sedation
- Overnight Stays in Hospital: None, only a couple of hours
- Possible results: Patients can lose 10–15% of their total weight over a period of 3 to 6 months.
- Notes on Pregnancy: Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding are not a candidate for non-surgical stomach reduction.
Choose the Right Clinic for Non-Surgical Stomach Reduction with MedClinics Turkey
MedClinicsTurkey, Expertise you can trust!
Things You Should Know Before Your Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Turkey/ Istanbul
- Please note that no method guarantees weight loss. Some surgeries and treatments can help the diet or to reduce the appetite.
- We highly recommend to only considering choosing trustworthy, certified clinics with highly skilled specialists. Istanbul boasts a lot of top-notch specialists and high-end clinics for obesity & weight loss surgeries.
- Your BMI (Body mass index) and medical history play an important role to decide if you are a good candidate for weight loss surgery and which type of procedure.
- If you have hormonal diseases or other medical conditions, you may not be suitable for every weight loss surgery.
- To avoid complications, patients must pay very close attention to what they eat after their surgery.
- Note that the skin typically becomes saggy due to rapid weight loss after weight loss surgery.
- For your obesity & weight loss surgery in Turkey, plan at least 2 days for Gastric Balloon or Non-surgical stomach reduction, and 7 days for Gastric Sleeve.
- Patients must refrain from cigarettes and alcohol at least 2 weeks before and several weeks/ months after the surgery.
- It is important that patients follow the aftercare instructions suggested by their doctor, such as the recommended nutrition/ dietary program (before and after surgery) or training/physical activity.
- During the first 1-2 weeks after surgery, a liquid or semi-solid diet is recommended, depending on the procedure. Also, you should drink a lot of water.
- First results are usually visible a couple of weeks after the obesity & weight loss surgery.
- Be aware that the results of obesity & weight loss surgeries don’t last a lifetime. The results depend on the patient, who has to follow specific post-surgery instructions.
Procedure of Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Turkey/ Istanbul
The first step for your obesity & weight loss surgery in Turkey is to submit your medical history to your treating doctor. During an online consultation, you will discuss together the risks and benefits of the surgeries and determine which procedure is the right one for your specific case. Your doctor will give you all important information and inform you about possible complications and aftercare.
After your arrival in Istanbul, you will visit the clinic for a consultation and check-up one day before your planned obesity & weight loss surgery. You and your doctor will discuss the chosen type of Weight Loss Surgery and the surgical method.
The surgery is typically scheduled for the next day. In most cases, you will come on an empty stomach. After a blood test, you will once again consult with your attending physician and then be prepared for surgery.
The duration of the surgery depends on the type of obesity & weight loss surgery (Gastric Balloon, Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectonomy, Non-surgical stomach reduction) and its complexity.
Patients that have undergone Non-surgical stomach reduction or gastric balloon surgery can typically leave the clinic after a couple of hours, and even fly home the same day.
Gastric Sleeve surgery is performed under general anesthesia, which is why you should expect to spend 3 to 5 days in the clinic, depending on your condition. During this time, your doctor will regularly check on your condition and the operated area. Before leaving the hospital, your treating doctor will inform you about aftercare and medications. The following days, you will come a last time to the clinic for a final control and consultation with your doctor.
How Much is Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery in Turkey?
The cost of obesity & weight loss surgeries in Turkey depends on the type of surgery.
The prices of laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy ranges from 3.200 € to 6.000 €, the prices of Gastric Balloon procedure ranges from 1.900 € to 2.200 € and the cost of Non-surgical stomach reduction ranges from 1.500 € to 1.800 € in Istanbul.
Popular Clinics and Doctors
"Bariatric surgery is the beginning of a new lifestyle", is how
The sympathetic doctor takes a holistic approach, knowing that obesity is often accompanied by psychological problems or metabolic disorders. He therefore works closely with nutritionists and psychologists to provide his patients with comprehensive care.
Dr. Ceyhun Aydoğan is a board-certified plastic and aesthetic surgeon who completed his medical training at Istanbul University, Department of General Surgery. He specialized in obesity and opened his own practice in 2019, where he still continues to welcome his patients.
All weight loss surgeries are offered, such as tube stomach, gastric bypass or gastric balloon, among others.
The high patient satisfaction is expressed in a top rating.
According to its own statement, Turkeyana Clinic was founded in 2012 so that "you can be the way you want to be." It considers beauty a universal principle of "soul and body" and a "natural, integrated image." The success of a cosmetic treatment is measured by how difficult it is to notice.
Extensive examinations as well as a detailed consultation before each procedure lead to a high level of patient satisfaction. Those who wish can book an all-inclusive package that includes airport transfers, interpretation services and accommodation in a 4- or 5-star hotel.
Turkeyana Clinic offers plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery, as well as dental aesthetics and hair transplants.
Estophia arranges aesthetic and medical treatments in Istanbul, Turkey. Especially worth mentioning are the procedures in breast aesthetics, BBL,
The all-inclusive packages offered include hotel, transfers and even activities during the stay, depending on the guest's preference.
Estophia has recently become very well known, especially for treatments of weight loss. All classic and modern methods are offered, such as tube stomach, gastric balloon or methods for non-surgical weight reduction. The extensive offers and comparison options give patients the desired security from the very beginning.
Founded in 2015,
In its over 7 years of experience, Forever Clinica has performed over 9,000 procedures and treated many thousands of patients from all over the world. A team of over 40 specialists and doctors take care of guests throughout the treatment process, and they quickly feel at home in the clinic.
Durable solutions and lifetime guarantees are reflected in the high level of patient satisfaction in all areas, which is always the top priority at Forever Clinica.
Forever Clinica Patients
At the end of their trip, guests should return home with a smile and, more importantly, with a more aesthetic and better appearance, as well as good memories.
All treatments from the field of aesthetic & plastic surgery such as BBL, Tummy Tuck, Mommy Makeover and breast aesthetics as well as from dentistry are offered. Especially worth mentioning are Hollywood Smile, dental crown and dental implants.
The all-round care and detailed consultation is reflected in the high level of patient satisfaction.
Those who wish can book an all-inclusive package that includes transfer and hotel.
According to the motto "Beauty for Everyone", the clinic offers highly qualified treatments at reasonable prices. The most important principles are honesty, transparency and discretion. All procedures are performed in the most prestigious 5* hospitals in Istanbul and Antalya, all of which have been awarded the coveted JCF certificate and are equipped with the latest technologies.
Treatments from all areas of medicine are offered. The focus is on hair- and beard transplants, plastic surgery such as breast aesthetics, BBL, Mommy Makeover and Tummy Tuck, weight loss surgeries, dental treatments, Іn-Vіtrо-Fertilisation (IVF) and eye surgeries such as eye laser and smart lens.
Cayra Clinic has so far successfully attended over 5,000 patients from 5 different continents and over 40 countries on their journey.
Those who wish can book an all-inclusive package that includes VIP transfers, interpreters, 5-star hotel, flights and city tours.
get a Free consultation
We would be pleased to talk about your expectations.
You can contact us by phone or Whatsapp
Note: Our contracted hospitals, clinics and physicians will get in touch with you regarding the treatment you have requested.
Here the list of other treatments in which Turkey has become a specialist:
Register Now and Get Your Add on this page!